Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Comfort, inspire, create


This has been a rough week for writing... the things which have been clogging my thoughts and prayer life simply do not belong on this blog. I tell you that only to offer an apology for the delay and  inconsistancy in my posting.


IF you are looking for the Lectionary Readings for Sunday July 28,   You can find them here

Today, let us start with the Collect for the week.... that our hearts and minds might be led by the Holy Spirit to discover words of life to inwardly digest in this moment. 
O God, the protector of all who trust in you, without whom nothing is strong, nothing is holy: Increase and multiply upon us your mercy; that, with you as our ruler and guide, we may so pass through things temporal, that we lose not the things eternal; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
As I was reading through each of the texts I felt a bit like Dorothy (from the Wizard of Oz) just after landing in Oz, 

Lions, and tigers and bears, oh MY

which really substitutes for

Prayers, praise, prophets and supplications...OH MY!

And as always, I look at the texts with basic questions. 

"What word do you have for me in this text, Holy One, and what word for others?
Who in the world will need to hear what I feel from the reading of the texts this week?"

The reply to that comes back:
"focus on your own understanding. Find life in the words for yourself.
Find inspiration and comfort. From that foundation move forward to create."


So with that nod from God I found myself plucked down within the Psalms.


Psalms are for everyday and every person, although it must be admitted that some days one psalm will fit more snugly and aptly than another.

Let's mark this one up and see what pops.....


I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with my whole heart; *
before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down toward your holy temple
and praise your Name, *
because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your Name *
and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me; *
you increased my strength within me
.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O LORD, *
when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the LORD, *
that great is the glory of the LORD.
Though the LORD be high, he cares for the lowly; *
he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you keep me safe; *
you stretch forth your hand against the fury of my enemies;
your right hand shall save me.
The LORD will make good his purpose for me; *
O LORD, your love endures for ever;
do not abandon the works of your hands. Psalm 138




No matter what I've been feeling when I read through the various texts of this week, there is one place where I can go to discover inspiration almost without fail. These are words that remind me where my source of strength comes from. These words call me to find sanctuary; safety within the "temple", a place where praise springs from my lips to the highest places, the outermost reaches where God abides. Yes, even the outermost inward place where God abides within me.

This is inspiration.
It is from the Source. From the Divine, breathing new life upon a parched servant.

These are words of assurance of a time, not yet fully present, when the reign of God will be complete, on this celestial ball.  

Even thinking about inspiration is a worthy place to put the heart and mind to work. Inspiration is a great word. It conveys the process of life sustaining force. God's spirit flowing within, working to transform each of us into the salved creatures of the creator. We are each of us creatures of this planet implanted with purpose which is to be uncovered and fulfilled.

Sadly though, I know many people are moving aimlessly about not aware of any sense of purpose. I know not whether they have any sense of spirituality. Never mind whether they have any religion. They simply have not yet had to any opportunity to be challenged to consider any thing remotely related to the question of purpose for their life. I cannot imagine anything more discouraging than to be in such a condition.


In- spire us Holy of Holies, remove the scales from the eyes of our hearts that we may come to see and know you thereby empowering us to be co-creators with you, that all people will sing your praises forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment